FRBR & film and video presentation
Kelley McGrath
2014-08-25 04:48:20 UTC
Some of you may be interested in the presentation on FRBR and moving images that I gave at the FRBR Interest Group meeting at ALA: http://connect.ala.org/node/227499

Jacob Nadal also gave an interesting presentation of how FRBR might be applied to preservation decisions: http://connect.ala.org/node/227500

And if you are so inclined, why not take a few minutes to help OLAC out with our project to annotate movie credits in MARC records so we can try to teach a computer to do this: http://olac-annotator.org/

Kelley
Karen Coyle
2014-08-25 17:01:29 UTC
Kelley - this has some great content, and I would encourage you to write
this up as an article because I know there are places where I would like
to quote this.

First, I think your points are incontrovertible proof that FRBR WEMI is
useful, but only if it has the flexibility to meet a wide variety of
needs. Forcing all materials to follow rigidly-defined rules for WEMI
can only result in cataloging that does not meet users' needs. You show
this in many of your slides.

Second, I think that some of your examples can also be applied to print
materials, even though we don't think of print in this same way. I
especially like the link to the Wikipedia article on Star Wars
variations [1]. Compare that to the short list of editions on the page
for Hamlet (which has varied significantly in different publications)
and you see perhaps that cataloging of print materials has under-played
the significance of different editions.

Third, I wonder if you have read the BIBFRAME A-V report, and if you
think it solves the problems that you point out here with FRBR.[3]

Fourth, I encourage you to post this to the BIBFRAME list, with comments
on the A-V report if you have any. Or, if you prefer, I can post it with
my comments about your observations.

kc
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_changes_in_Star_Wars_re-releases
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamlet#Editions_of_Hamlet